Food Habits of a Diabetic
Diabetes is one of the most common diseases of today. Irrespective of age, this problem has increased in large numbers. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, making the right food choices is of great importance in order to stay healthy and to avoid diabetes related other problems like heart disease.
Selecting The Right Foods
The rule of thumb for a diabetic is to maintain a healthy and nutritious diet plan to avoid blood sugar spikes. Anything that increases sugar levels of the blood has to be left out from the diet chart. And for this you need to know something more about the foods that you should have and the ones you must avoid even if you are very fond of them. Here is a list of foods that will keep your sugar levels under control and keep you fit.
Best Food for Diabetes
1. Whole-grain flours like wheat flour
2. Whole grains like brown rice
3. Fresh vegetables like greens, spinach, kale, lettuce and those that are rich in fibers
4. Fresh fruits, sugar-free jams
5. Baked or grilled low-fat meats, skinless chicken, baked or grilled fish, eggs, nuts, beans, tofu
6. Skimmed milk, low-fat yoghurt, non-fat sour cream, low-fat cottage cheese
7. Olive oils are the best, margarine, vegetable oils.
8. Low-fat sugar-free ice cream.
Foods Diabetics Should Avoid
1. White rice
2. Fried meats, fried fish, Pork, regular cheese
3. Blended coffee laced with syrup, sugar or whipped cream.
4. Bananas, peaches, melons and nectarines.
5. Doughnuts, pastries, bakery sweets
6. Fruit smoothies and regular ice creams
7. Fried foods and snacks like potato chips
8. Regular sodas, regular beer, fruity mixed drinks, dessert wines, energy drinks.
These are some of the different foods that you need to choose from if you are suffering from diabetes. Actually everything depends on your attitude and outlook. If you think that by refraining from those foods that are high in calories and sugar contents you are feeling healthy and fine, you will naturally stay fit and enjoy life. But on the contrary if you brood over your food feeling depressed that you need to give up on your favorite foods, then even if you maintain the prescribed diet you will not stay well.
The fact of maintaining a healthy diet regime is to love what you eat and maintain it willingly. Then even if you have a sugar-loaded pastry on your birthday, your sugar level will not rise.